Skip to main content

Your Mental Net

 



We have been reading so many articles, facts and stories about mental health

these days. Stories about depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder etc. Many people

have curbed up their phase of poor mental health while some have drowned in

this phase to such an extent that it has taken a toll on their life. According to

WHO reports more than 246 million people of all ages are suffering from

depression. More than 700,000 people die by suicide every year, which is one

person every 40 seconds. Suicide is accounted for 1.3% of all deaths

worldwide, making it the 17th leading cause of death in 2019. This is

worrisome and alarming.

The WHO defines mental health as "a state of well-being in which the

individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of

life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to

his or her community" . But is the population worldwide really standing up to

this definition, probably not. The best example is Japan, a country which is

known for its successful economy and ingenious technology. Japan has the

highest rates of suicide despite the fact that it is developed in all ways. Reports

state that Japan recorded more cases of Suicide than COVID in October 2020.

These are just the figures which can increase if we neglect our mental health.

“It's just a matter of courage to ask for help and not an act of gaining

sympathy”. One should always keep in mind that if you are in need and you

know that you cannot help yourself anymore there’s no shame in asking for

help. When you are depressed or if you are going through something terrible or

have faced any tragic incident it's always better to seek help from a psychologist

or anyone who is liable to guide and help you out. When there is emotional pain

it is much harder to bear because you know you cannot face the pain , control

the dreadful thoughts and live in peace. Life has its way of changing the

patterns and doesn't work according to our will. It will never be perfect because

it always has its share of troubles, shocks , sadness and happiness which are

beyond our control. No person can make the right decision every time and no

person can do things perfectly all the time. One can be impulsive at times and can end up making harsh

 decisions but always remember that “It's okay to not be okay".


So just don't wait till others realize that you need help, don't wait for it to take a

toll on your life and destroy it, just ask for help, speak up, cry when you want to

and open up. Here I would like to share my experience: When I was in 10th

grade I faced betrayal, backstabbing, and hatred at the same time from the

people closest to me .This incident was devastating for me cause I never

expected them to do this. I cried because I was hurt and depressed due to which

I was not able to concentrate on my studies for a month and the worst part of all

was that it was 10th grade, one of the most crucial year for every student. I knew

that if this continues my grades will decline and all my hard-work will be in

vain. So, I gathered the courage to ask for help from our principal who was also

my counsellor, because I knew I had to get over this as soon as possible, and

after sessions of counselling I was free, free and happy from the darkness,

loneliness and distraction. I made new friends, learnt a life lesson from my past

experience and made sure I don't repeat the same mistake again. I scored

meritorious marks and got into one of the most prestigious institutions . I still

appreciate myself for seeking help for it wouldn't have been possible for me to

score such good marks without those counselling sessions .

So be brave, for your braveness will smoothen your path of success and you

will live a life you dreamt of. Don't repress make progress cause your one

small step to break taboo can help you save your life and inspire others facing

the similar problem to do the same, and if we continue this chain I am sure we

can reduce the cases of poor mental health and suicide.


-Christina Miranda (SYJC)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street Art - The Voice of Mumbai's Urbanity

“Art imitates life.”  Art is a mirror showing the beautiful and grotesque face of our world. Through time, all forms of art have been windows into social structures, lifestyles, and beliefs of civilizations. Transformative art has evolved over centuries as the voice of people of their times, inspiring change from a shift in social norms to war revolutions.  ["Humanity" at Sassoon Docks. Photo Credit: Special Arrangement, The Hindu] A tedious train ride in the mornings, the stationary traffic in the evenings, in the gray monotonous life of Mumbai, some days my eyes find the gorgeous colors on mossy walls and railway bridges, across old complexes and abandoned warehouses. The Street Art of Mumbai - present everywhere, unnoticed yet leaving its mark.   From the cultural abundance of the city we inhabit to the push for human rights and protest against climate change, from promoting harmony to lauding the unsung heroes, street art does more than beautify the concrete forest we...

Ending Stigma

  End STIGMA   All face it, but don't express it. There is cure to every pain, Whether it affects you're heart or brain. Different paths along the way, But they weren't meant to stay. In isolation day by day, Wandering far away. Scared of voices, Battling with losses. Chains will be tight, The key is to fight. Stigma encourages secrecy, Remember health is supremacy. Stop making false assumptions, On society's opinions. Seeking counseling or showing signs such sadness, Often misinterpreted as signs of weakness. Try to be more acceptable, It's a disorder that is treatable. Family support can help destigmatize, Treatment and using therapy is the way to normalize. Treat physical and mental health equally, Stigma shouldn't be endorsed silently. It requires a lot more  awareness, To achieve overall wellness. Reluctant smile on face, Everything heals at its pace. ~ Benisha Cardoza    SYBsc 

A Storied Mind

                                             DEPRESSION: A HARMFUL PARASITE I wonder how my life was before I faced you, All the experiences were bright and new. Happiness was my virtue, Positivity was the only value. I was like this in childhood, My life was surrounded with green gardens and woods. Stress free was the environment, Because I was surrounded with the love and warmth of my parents. As I grew up this contentment slowed down, Unhealthy competition was growing around. Peer pressure was never to be bound, Teenage was proving to be foul. My life was as dark as a rain filled cloud, Just like the heavy rains wanting to express my pain out loud. My mind filled with obnoxious thoughts, With all these problems I knew I was alone who fought. The cheerful soul in me had driven away, With my confidence I was no more able to slay, My talkative nature was no where, All I kn...