Skip to main content

An Open Letter


Dear Depression and Anxiety,

You’ve been loyal to me all these years, stuck by my side, broke me into a

million pieces and made me weak from within, that I started questioning my

existence. But let me tell you one thing today, from the day you left me on

my own, it has turned out to be marvelous.

From being the person who stayed awake the whole night overthinking

about her own self, to being proud and taking stand for the things that are

fair, we have come a long way. I vaguely remember, back in my school days,

when my classmates bullied me about the way I looked, when going to a

therapist meant that I’m mentally unstable, where I was reminded how to

dress, sit and walk, and not raise my voice to some high decibel. I cried for

hours when lights were turned off, but now those days are gone where I felt

tormented by darkness, where I was trapped, not by any human being but my

own grief and pain.

Sometimes, I’m left alone to think, to repent on my actions, to let that harsh

reality sink in, and shatter me down like those pieces of glass. But I want to

say a thank you to you two, though you turned my inner self upside down,

but today I stand strong and bold enough to face all that comes my way.

Though I was in deep misery of my own self, but now I can sense the real

meaning of being free, free from endless rants, crying and complaining to

myself.

I can feel the positive energy around me when I work, and nothing can let

me down or put me back in that place where I resided before, trapped. Letting

go is the best therapy, but letting yourself fly in an expressive way can lead to

a new beginning of being free. So, it’s time for us to say adieu for the rest of

our lives.

From,

The mind who went through agony.

- Rachel Fernandes, SYBSc

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Street Art - The Voice of Mumbai's Urbanity

“Art imitates life.”  Art is a mirror showing the beautiful and grotesque face of our world. Through time, all forms of art have been windows into social structures, lifestyles, and beliefs of civilizations. Transformative art has evolved over centuries as the voice of people of their times, inspiring change from a shift in social norms to war revolutions.  ["Humanity" at Sassoon Docks. Photo Credit: Special Arrangement, The Hindu] A tedious train ride in the mornings, the stationary traffic in the evenings, in the gray monotonous life of Mumbai, some days my eyes find the gorgeous colors on mossy walls and railway bridges, across old complexes and abandoned warehouses. The Street Art of Mumbai - present everywhere, unnoticed yet leaving its mark.   From the cultural abundance of the city we inhabit to the push for human rights and protest against climate change, from promoting harmony to lauding the unsung heroes, street art does more than beautify the concrete forest we...

Ending Stigma

  End STIGMA   All face it, but don't express it. There is cure to every pain, Whether it affects you're heart or brain. Different paths along the way, But they weren't meant to stay. In isolation day by day, Wandering far away. Scared of voices, Battling with losses. Chains will be tight, The key is to fight. Stigma encourages secrecy, Remember health is supremacy. Stop making false assumptions, On society's opinions. Seeking counseling or showing signs such sadness, Often misinterpreted as signs of weakness. Try to be more acceptable, It's a disorder that is treatable. Family support can help destigmatize, Treatment and using therapy is the way to normalize. Treat physical and mental health equally, Stigma shouldn't be endorsed silently. It requires a lot more  awareness, To achieve overall wellness. Reluctant smile on face, Everything heals at its pace. ~ Benisha Cardoza    SYBsc 

A Storied Mind

                                             DEPRESSION: A HARMFUL PARASITE I wonder how my life was before I faced you, All the experiences were bright and new. Happiness was my virtue, Positivity was the only value. I was like this in childhood, My life was surrounded with green gardens and woods. Stress free was the environment, Because I was surrounded with the love and warmth of my parents. As I grew up this contentment slowed down, Unhealthy competition was growing around. Peer pressure was never to be bound, Teenage was proving to be foul. My life was as dark as a rain filled cloud, Just like the heavy rains wanting to express my pain out loud. My mind filled with obnoxious thoughts, With all these problems I knew I was alone who fought. The cheerful soul in me had driven away, With my confidence I was no more able to slay, My talkative nature was no where, All I kn...